Recipe Ideas / Shearer's Fruit Tea Cake
Shearer's Fruit Tea Cake
- Pour on fruit juice and then tea, mix and leave covered overnight (in fridge if desired) to allow tea and juice to soak into fruit mix.
- Next day, pre-heat oven to 160ºC (325ºF). Grease a 20cm square cake tin, or bar cake shapes. Take mix and add beaten egg, golden syrup, SR flour and salt (for a moister cake add up to 300mls cream if desired). Stir well. Pour into prepared tin(s) and bake in oven for 1 - 1 ½ hours on medium heat. Check to see if cooked by inserting a skewer into centre of cake. It is cooked if the skewer comes out clean. Cool on a rack, slice thinly and serve buttered when cold.
- 370g (2 cups) mixed dried fruit
- ½ cup orange or apple juice
- 230g (1 ½ cups) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (or mix of ground nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom)
- 250ml (1 cup) hot, strong Strained Nerada Tea
- 1 to 2 eggs, beaten
- 80ml (4 tablespoons) golden syrup
- 520g (4 cups) SR flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 300ml cream (optional)