Make your next afternoon tea special with a batch of classic scones served with fresh cream and jam. For best results, do not overwork the dough, mixing only until just combined.
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 30g butter or margarine
- 1 to 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ to 1 tablespoon of sugar or icing mixture (lighter)
- Sieve flour and salt into a bowl
- Melt butter and add to milk and pour onto dry mix
- Create a soft dough without over working – less is more when making scones
- Gently roll out dough onto a lightly floured board to a 2cm height, and cookie cut into round scone shapes
- Place on greased baking tray, glaze tops with a little milk, and cook in a hot oven (180 degrees) for 12 to 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and cover with a tea towel to keep fresh until ready to serve.