Middle Eastern Mince Pie
Winter calls for hearty and warm meals, like this Middle Eastern inspired pie. Lightly spiced, this dish is packed full of flavour.
- 1 cup cracked bulghur wheat
- 600 g beef or lamb mince
- 1/2 cup pinenuts, or substitute chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn ground cumin, optional
- 1/2 cup Nerada Black Tea
- 2 tblspn honey, warmed
- Rinse the cracked wheat, and stand for 30 minutes to swell and soften. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (moderate), and brown nuts on a tin for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix together the wheat, mince, onion, spices and Nerada Black Tea.
- Grease a slab tin or small lasagne dish, spread 1/2 the meat mixture over it, and top with half of the nuts. Top with remaining meat mixture, flatten down a bit and cut into 7.5 cm (3″) squares. Brush with warmed honey and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle over remaining nuts and bake a further 10 minutes.
- Serve warm, with a salad or some fresh spinach.
Image Source: NYT Cooking